Aug 29, 2009

Printable Play Money


This week we decided to start learning about money. My son got a wonderful teaching cash register for Christmas last year and it came with some play money.
Unfortunately most of the paper money is missing now, so I went online to find play money to print out.
There are several sites that are free.

Activity Village has a page of US dollars and Euros, plus coins to print out. The only one they don't have is the US ten dollar bill for some reason. I also found Money Instructor, which has a page of very real looking bills and coins to print, including the $10. They also have worksheets and interactive lessons available, but I think you have to sign up for an account to get those. Donna Young has play money and some great math worksheets to go with them.

Funny thing was, after I got all our bills printed out and cut up, my son asked whose picture that was on the money. I told him that it was George Washington the first president, so then he wanted to know who came next.
That led us to The White House and a whole different lesson for the day. We spent the next hour or more, looking at every presidential picture and biography in order (or course).
I hope to get back to the money lesson this week. This is one of the great benefits to homeschooling, if your lesson heads in another direction, you are free to go with it and learn!

1 comments:

Holly said...

What a clever boy! I have to say, following what the kid is interested in sounds like a definite plus to homeschool.

Related Posts with Thumbnails