Jun 2, 2008

The Kinship
















I think I'm finally beginning to understand why blogging has become such a passion among mothers. When I started blogging I really didn’t know what I was doing or what direction I would take it. I'm an older mom who planned for a long time to have a child. I knew I wanted to be a full time mother and I knew I would want to home school.

So when my son was 3 and I could no longer take him to work with me, I decided to try and work from home. Up until this time, I had been a relief veterinary technician and a pet sitter. The office I did relief work for loved my son and made it easy to continue there after he was born, up until a baby gate would no longer contain him in the office. It had also become obvious that in order to toilet train, I was going to need to be at home.

I still pet sit and now I also have a shop at Etsy.com where I sell handmade toys and gifts. The blog was started as a way to keep up with children’s markets and promote my shop.
I was overwhelmed at first at the staggering number of blogs there are and the amount of great content there was to read. I could have sat at the computer all day just blog hopping and not getting anything else done!

As the weeks past , I spent my days waiting for the phone to ring with sitting jobs and caring for my son. I also withdrew further and further away from the people that used to be part of my everyday life. When I did speak to someone or venture out, I'm sure I talked their ear off about my crafts or what my son had learned that week. I wasn’t prepared for the feeling of isolation that came along with being a stay at home mom, let alone a single one.

That’s when I turned to the Internet and realized that my blog was doing more that helping me make a living. It allows me to connect with other mothers, to share stories.
I was not a very social person before I became a mom, but I love sitting down at the computer in the morning with my coffee and reading what everyone has to say. I will never meet these other moms in person and yet I’m connected to their lives. It has given me a huge resource for tips and ideas.

It also gives me a sense of validation to know that a lot of mothers out there feel as I do.
They love their children, love the way they have chosen to raise them, need approval from no one but would still like know they are part of a kinship and that someone other than Max and Ruby is listening!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You described my rewards from blogging very well. In the middle of a busy life as mom, full-time worker, grandma, and wife I had very little me time. Going out takes more time away from family.

Blogging has netted me many, many friends and I don't have to spend extra time commuting. It truly is a wonderful, loving community and has really expanded my horizons at the ripe old age of 45.

Unknown said...

I loved your post, because it conveys exactly how I feel about blogging and the Internet and all the friends I've made online.

Christie said...

Wow. Can I relate. I just started my blog today. Being a SAHM is so lonely sometimes and reading blogs keep me in touch with the outside world.

Threeundertwo said...

Beautifully written and I couldn't agree more. I used to be so lonely. Blogging is an amazing world. Nice to find you.

Ze Kremen said...

It's only commendable for a mother to blog and express herself since that only teaches and reminds the web culture that family and childrearing is the backbone of the society

DJ said...

Thanks for the kind words, I see I'm in good company!

Related Posts with Thumbnails