Jun 21, 2008

Tasha Tudor, my memories


At 92 my favorite childhood author has died. Tasha Tudor passed away June 20 2008 from old age at her home in Vermont.
I can not tell you how sad this makes me but at the same time how glad I am that she lived a very long and rewarding life.
Her book "Take Joy, The Tasha Tudor Christmas Book" was my constant holiday companion during the Christmas season in the islands. The stories and art in that book represented a "Real Christmas" to me as a child who lived with palm trees and sea shells all year long.
My mother played the Christmas carols on the piano from the music in her book and that's how I learned the words to the classic Christmas songs. When I was a young girl, I made a book cover from Christmas wrapping paper to protect it, and now at 47, I have a beautiful, worn but well loved book to read to my son.
This book is out of print but if you are able to find a copy of it, I urge you to have a look!
Indeed Tasha Tudor, take joy in the knowledge that your art forever changed my childhood and that of many I'm sure!

Tasha Tudor
1915 - 2008

4 comments:

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

What a nice tribute. You have something so valuable that many cannot even comprehend.

ginabee said...

Wonderful story! I, too, celebrate Christmas among Palm trees in Florida.
The carols and readings are part of my Christmas, as well.
Haven't read this author, yet.

Elise of Argyle Whale said...

oh I didn't know she'd died. She was one of my favorites too :(

Anonymous said...

Great story. Thank you for sharing. I have never heard of her before.

Related Posts with Thumbnails