Mar 28, 2011

It's Not Easter Yet but...

baby bunnies We have been busy raising orphaned baby rabbits (dog incident). This photo is about two weeks old now, but I didn't want to write about them in case they didn't make it. Sometimes mother rabbits make a bad choice in where they make a nest. In this case, it was inside the fenced yard of a very avid hunting dog.


Orphaned wild rabbits are very difficult to raise, most don't survive. The dog who destroyed the nest, did kill one but the other three are still doing well here with us. Even though they are past the critical stage, they could still have problems but I'm hoping they continue to grow.

They are now eating greens and have their eyes open. I will raise them until they are ready to be released back into the wild ( in the preserve nearby, not my neighborhood ). Updated photos coming soon but be warned, they are so adorable now they might overload your "cute" meter!

3 comments:

Lin said...

Awwwww. And how sweet are you to save them! Hooray!! Be sure to show us the release photos. And DON'T cry when they grow up to leave you. ;)

DJ said...

@Lin: Thanks! I've done this before so I know it hurts when they go :(

Holly said...

I just want to say awwwww!

Related Posts with Thumbnails