Jan 12, 2009

Symphony Fun And Education For Children


My son like most children, enjoys music. He likes to pretend he's conducting or playing an instrument along with the song.
I recently came across Playmusic.org, a website with links to many interactive sites and games that expose children to symphony music and classic composers.

Playmusic.org is funded by The New York State Council on the Arts and ABC, Inc.
You'll find biographies, interviews with musicians, history and even an activity where you can try writing your own music.

The area my son enjoys the most is the link to Carnegie Hall for kids. By playing an interactive safari game, he now knows the names of all the orchestra's instruments and what sections they belong in. He can also identify each one he hears in audio clips of the classics.

I'm thrilled that he is so captivated by music! He has now told me he wants a bassoon and a string bass for next Christmas. If his interest continues, I may be looking at music lessons in his future.

If you want to expose your child to classical music in a fun way, have a look at Playmusic.org.

6 comments:

MYM said...

That sounds like a great idea! I'm gonna mention it to my niece.

Kim Caro said...

my boyfriend fell in love with music when he joined choir in elementary school. he has his music teacher to thank. he got to get on a label at 12 yrs old with tooth n nail. go on tour! join many bands, have a video, be in others videos... rilo kiley he was the building lol

and many more experiences...

keep sharing with him music.

SuZ said...

Oh, how perfect is that! Thank you for sharing this with us!

p.s. I found you through MomDot.com

Holly said...

Oh, cool! We'll have to visit the site.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that! What a great site. Music is great for your son.

DJ said...

Drowsey: Hope your niece enjoys the site!
Kim: Thanks for sharing your boyfriends story!
Suz: Thanks for visiting, we love Mom.dot!
Holly: I bet your little one would get a bang out it!
Anne: Thanks for visiting and I agree, music is wonderful for any child.

Related Posts with Thumbnails