Nov 3, 2013
This year my son decided he wanted to be something scary, sort of. Of course I didn't get the memo until the last minute and had to scramble to come up with a costume. I ended up with a combination grim reaper and street urchin. He even let me put some makeup on his face. He loved it and had a ball walking the street in disguise! This is his best scary face for the camera.
Oct 8, 2013
I've been doing some holiday crafting and just finished these twin heart ornaments!
This pair of ornaments are handmade from layers of vintage Christmas cracker foil wrappers, mounted on card stock and heat laminated on both sides. A loop of ribbon is attached for hanging.
You can see more of my handmade ornaments in my Etsy shop.
Sep 15, 2013
1. Life of Fred, Decimals and Percents: Math was never so much fun! My son has read almost all the books just for the story, then we go back and do the math problems
2. Balance Benders Level 1: Logic and algebraic reasoning puzzles from The Critical Thinking Co.
3. Word Roots A2: Teaches students the meanings of Latin and Greek prefixes, roots, and suffixes commonly used in English. Also from The Critical Thinking Co.
4. Developing Critical Thinking Through Science, Book 2: Hands-on, minds-on activities that help students learn basic physical science principles and the scientific method of investigation. From The Critical Thinking Co. as well (can you see a pattern here?).
5. Jacob's Ladder Reading Comprehension Program,Level 2 : By the Center for Gifted Education at the College of William and Mary
6. The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child: The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance : This text is a very fast read for my son, but it then provides a foundation for further research when an event or historical figure catches his interest.
My son will turn 9 this year and he still loves to read just for his own entertainment (yeah!). He reads both fiction and non-fiction as he pleases. At the moment he is reading a very old volume of Aesop's Fables that was mine as a child.
Those are the only texts or workbooks we will use, but of course video and online learning is mixed in. He has learned a great deal about computer language and skills just from his online game creations and Minecraft play.
In between helping me care for my pet sitting clients, we just follow his interests the rest of the time.
He also has decided he wants to document things more (thoughts, ideas, findings etc.), so he is getting writing time in on his own as well. This is much better than me asking him to write something specific, which never worked!
Aug 14, 2013
Jul 13, 2013
Earlier this week, we went out for a walk along the canal by our house. Other than this waterbird perched on a branch, we could not see much of anything in the water.
Most of the canal was covered over by thick water lettuce. So since it was almost lunch time, we decided to get some chicken and have lunch at the park.
Which was then abruptly interrupted by this guy! Five minutes after sitting down, out of the woods he came marching. Nose in the air and heading right for our table. Seems KFC is potent raccoon bait!
He had no fear at all, so I assume someone has been feeding him. Really bad idea! Dangerous for us and for him. We said our goodbyes and went home to eat our chicken in peace.
Jun 27, 2013
Our Florida freshwater tank is doing great!
All the plants are growing and we haven't lost a single fish.
So far the Flagfish are getting along with everyone.
I tried to get some good photos of the males, but it's amazing how hard it is to photograph moving fish!
This is the best shot of the larger male Florida Flagfish.
Isn't he beautiful!
Jun 11, 2013
Last week we took a road trip down historic Indian River Drive to the St Lucie County History Center. The ride alone was an event. Indian River Drive runs directly along the Indian River, 19 miles to Ft Pierce, Fl. On your right is the river and on your left are some of the areas most historic homes and newer fabulous ones! It's hard to know which way to to look, as there are no bad views. My son was full of oohs and aahs at every turn!
They even had an old (and still working, I was told ) pioneers moonshine still. Wonder how often they test it?