Apr 21, 2010

Florida Snakes

While in the garden today we had an impromptu lesson on snakes when I spotted this guy poking his head out of a hole.

Though it's hard to tell with only this much of him showing, I believe this is an Eastern Rat Snake. He is a non-venomous snake and seems to have a burrow under the mulch.
If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

We also came across a small Ring-necked Snake, who was kind of cute. Also harmless. I was not fast enough with the camera to get a photo of him, he was gone in a blink.

Of course we had to go to the computer and have a discussion of venomous snakes in Florida. Lucky for us, there are only six snakes in Florida that are harmful to people.

The only one I have ever come across, is the small but deadly Coral Snake. Unfortunately as a vet tech, I saw quite a few pet deaths due to this snake. Most pets will die, even with treatment.

3 comments:

Lin said...

Creepy!! I have never seen a snake coming out of its hole before. Cool photo!

Mom's Cafe Home Cooking said...

I am so glad I dropped by your blog today! We bought a vacation home in Florida and while I was excited about the flora completely forgot about the fauna! Your blog will help me identify those critters as well. Very interesting picture!

DJ said...

@Lin: It was a 1st for me too. At first I thought it was a skink, but he came out further before I shot the photo and there are no legs.
@Mom's Cafe: Let me know where your at in Fla.
maybe we can visit. The Fauna here can be scary!

Related Posts with Thumbnails